Food Heroes

Food Heroes

Keith Floyd - simply the best
Bruce Poole - great quality and skill personified
Rick Stein - for fantastic recipes, boundless enthusiasm, and for bringing an educated approach to food programming, that isn't always present.........
Nigel Slater - for a writing style that I don't think can be beaten
Giorgio Locatelli - because my wife fancies him, and he made her birthday by signing her menu, and coming out to say hello... (sometimes its the little things...)
Ross Hunter - owner of Surrey Hills Brewery - an old friend who followed his dream
Antonio Carluccio - his passion his food, and his country, are infectious
Eric and Sarah Guignord - who run the brilliant The French Table in Surbiton - my new favourite place! Great food and excellent service every time.


All of these are my food heroes, and many, many more

Enter your e-mail below and all new posts will be sent directly to your mailbox


Tuesday 13 November 2012

Crispy Topped Fish Pie


Crispy Topped Fish Pie
(Photograph to follow!)

There are certain comfort foods that I return to again and again , and the fish pie is one of them.
I am a fan of most versions of the fish pie – but have settled on his as my favourite to serve! It started life as a Mary Berry recipe. The crispy top is a revelation – and the additional of the leeks and broccoli seem to make this a bit more of a ‘grown up’ version of the old classic. Somehow they retain their vibrant colours throughout the cooking.
I have changed some of the ingredients, as I think a fish pie NEEDS a bit of smoked fish to give I a lift  - so that is what I have done here.
The only other thing I would say is that to get the full effect of the grated pastry it really does need to be really cold. It heats up very quickly as soon as you handle it – and this effects the look of the topping.
If I have the time I cool the pie prior to adding the topping – which ensures it keeps its shape.
In writing this I realise it sounds like overkill – but these are only tips (borne out of cooking it loads of times) the pie is lovely without the additional cooling!!
Please do try it - you won’t go back to mash!

Serves 4 (well)

300g cod fillet
300g natural smoked haddock
1 bay leaf
2 leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
175g broccoli – cut into small florets
200g (or a handful) cooked king prawns or tiger prawns (something with a bit of size)
15g  butter
15g pain flour
250g ready made shortcrust pastry
30g gruyere cheese

1                     Put the cod and haddock with the milk and bayleaf  into a large frying pan or saucepan. Bring slowly to the boil and poach gently for about 10 minutes, until the fish flakes easily.
2                     Blanch the leeks and broccoli for 3 minutes in salted water. Drain.
3                     Carefully lift out the fish. Flake the flesh onto a plate, discarding the skin and any bones. Strain and reserve the milk.
4                     Put the leeks into the bottom of a pie dish – I use a 24cm one.
5                     On top of the layer of leeks and broccoli and the haddock, cod and most of the prawns, keeping a few back for presentation.
6                     Melt the butter in a small pan, add the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and gradually blend in the milk. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time, until thickened. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, season to taste, and pour over the pie filling. (this is the point at which I chill the pie if I have time)
7                     Grate the pstry and sprinkle over the sauce. Grate the cheese and sprinkle over to the topping.
8                     I decorate with a couple of prawns (tail – on if you have them – I realise this is a bit 70’s – but I am a 70’s child….)
9                     Bake in a pre heated oven at 200 (440 gas mark 6) for 25-30 minutes and serve at one

One of the things I love to serve with this is petit pois a la francais ( I know – more 70s) –and the lack of mash in the topping means you are free to add your carbs of choice!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment